for the Omaha, Nebraska Area
Being diagnosed with breast cancer and facing mastectomy can be frightening, confusing, and overwhelming. When you are making decisions about breast reconstruction, the Omaha plastic surgeons at Aesthetic Surgical Images can help by offering knowledgeable advice and compassionate care. Over the years, we have found that many women think of breast reconstruction surgery as an important step on their road to recovery.
When You Choose Aesthetic Surgical Images, You Can Count On:
Integrity – We always put your safety, comfort, privacy and satisfaction above all else.
Trust – We give every patient the level of care we would want for ourselves or our loved ones.
Excellence – We are here to help you. Our surgeons, anesthesiologists, and support staff are all highly credentialed.
Call 800-331-5001 or request a cosmetic consultation with Aesthetic Surgical Images to have a private discussion about your options with one of our breast surgeons in Omaha, Nebraska.
Understanding Breast Reconstruction
When considering breast reconstruction, it's important to know that you do not have to make a decision right away. Reconstruction can begin during the mastectomy, or it can wait until the cancer treatment is complete. The focus must be on eliminating the cancer so we work closely with your care team to plan the type and timing of the reconstruction that is best for you.
When performed by a skilled plastic surgeon, breast reconstruction can:
- Replace the contour of your breast
- Improve breast symmetry
- Improve body image and self esteem
We have compiled a list of answers to our patients' most Frequently Asked Questions. We think you'll find it to be a valuable resource as you research your options.
Your Breast Reconstruction Procedure
The plastic surgeons at Aesthetic Surgical Images have decades of experience performing breast reconstruction in Omaha. They understand the complexity of various surgical techniques and can recommend the best option based on your unique needs. Our techniques include:
- Tissue Expander Reconstruction, which inserts an expander under the muscle remaining after mastectomy. This is gradually expanded to create a pocket and is replaced by an implant at a later surgery. For breast implants, Omaha women can choose between saline and silicone and from a variety of shapes and sizes. A typical hospital stay is one or two nights, and recovery is fairly quick.
- Latissiums Dorsi Flap Reconstruction, which transfers skin and fat from the upper back to the chest wall through the armpit. Very often, an implant or tissue expander is placed at the same time to help shape a new breast. A typical hospital stay is two to three days, and recovery is four to six weeks.
- TRAM or "Tummy Tuck" Flap Reconstruction, which uses the skin and fat of the lower abdominal wall to create a breast-like shape. This procedure is more complex than using breast implants so the recovery time is longer. A typical hospital stay is four to five days, and recovery is six to eight weeks.
During your consultation, one of our board-certified plastic surgeons will review your surgical options in detail and discuss nipple reconstruction, which is generally done three to four months after surgery.
Enjoying Your Results
Not only does breast reconstruction rebuild the breast that is lost, but many of our patients tell us that it helped them claim victory over cancer. To see how breast reconstruction surgery can restore your healthy appearance, visit our before & after photo gallery.
Taking the Next Step
Currently, it is a federal law that insurance companies must offer reimbursement for the breast reconstruction and the modification of the opposite breast for patients with breast cancer. Request a cosmetic consultation with one of the board-certified plastic surgeons at Aesthetic Surgical Images online or call (402) 390-0100 or (800) 331-5001 today.